This is a physical activity course designed to familiarize the student with the basic yoga asanas (postures) and breathing techniques of Hatha Yoga. Yoga is a slow stretching and toning activity designed to help release stress while elongating muscles to give them a longer, leaner look. Yoga can help strengthen secondary and postural muscles not usually used by individuals, therefore making them more flexible and stronger in everyday life. Breathing practices and body awareness techniques designed to relax and revitalize the mind and body are included. The course consists of familiarizing students with the range of Yoga postures through the traditional exercise model of warm-up/work/cool-down, and stresses the use of deep breathing both to move into and out of each posture, for quieting their minds, and as a de-stressing technique. Body awareness is emphasized through proper alignment in each posture and the individual student's range of motion. Students will be taught combinations of stretching, strengthening, breathing, and relaxation techniques. Upon successful completion of this course the student should be able to:
1. Demonstrate a basic understanding of Yoga as a physical fitness activity;
2. Demonstrate postures with correct alignment;
3. Explain the importance of the breath to enhance their daily lives, their exercise regimens, and as a de-stressing technique; and,
4. Identify inversions and physical limitations for which inversions are not appropriate.*
5. Note improvement in overall health relative to individual goals (weight and/or fat loss, increased muscular strength, increased flexibility, increased range of motion, reduced stress, increased overall feeling of well being).
It is this instructor's belief that the practice of Yoga is personal to each of us, even in a classroom setting. In this class there will be no judgment, no competition, and no comparisons. *Each of us has our personal physical considerations, i.e., joint concerns, blood pressure, etc. Therefore, not all postures will be appropriate for all students.
A Yoga mat is required. A towel and water is recommended.